This delicious chicken and vegetable pie is the perfect comfort meal that I promise your whole family will love! It is loaded with vegetables and filled with a sauce that gives this dish the traditional chicken pie taste. After the healthy sweet potato shepherd’s pie recipe was such a hit, I know you all will love this!
The recipe is so versatile you can add your own favourite vegetables and top it with either sweet potato, pumpkin, potato or a mixture. For the stock be careful of the supermarket brands as they are often loaded full of chemical flavours and oils – I am yet to find a healthy stock cube. Many supermarkets now have fresh stock in the fridge section, always check the ingredient list but usually these fresh options are perfect. Or else you could always make your own!
I topped the pie of with bread crumbs but this is optional, it is perfectly fine with the sweet potato alone or else a sprinkle of cheese. I had a few pieces of homemade quinoa and buckwheat bread in the freezer so thought I’d use it as bread crumbs.
- 3 large sweet potato, washed and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 large chicken breast or 2 small
- 1 large leak, finely chopped
- 1 broccoli, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tin of corn
- 1 heaped tablespoon tapioca flour
- 250 ml of vegetable stock
- 100ml coconut milk + ¼ cup for sweet potato
- Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs