Today I’m going to share with you one of my favorite comfort foods of all time, a dairy-free Creamy Potato Chowder, and it is going to completely knock your socks off.
I’m Sherrie from With Food + Love and I’m a soupaholic. Yes, it is true. I’m a soupaholic and I just can’t get enough. I love it, any kind, any time. It warms up my soul and makes everything just a-ok. There is absolutely nothing better in the world than snuggling up with a warm bowl of chowder on a chilly wintery day.
This Creamy Potato Chowder is so hearty; a complete bowl of soul-satisfying goodness. And seriously, I’m just going to say it because I love this soup so much: this might be the best bowl of soup you’ll eat all winter long. Most chowders are full of dairy, leaving your belly feeling pretty heavy. Since I replaced the dairy with cashew cream, this soup is both lighter and vegan-friendly. I hope you’ll all really enjoy it. If you do, leave me a comment below! I’d love to hear from you.
XO SHERRIE | With Food + Love
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 4 hours
- ¾ cup filtered water
- Coarse ground pepper, to taste
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a big soup pot over low heat. Add the onions and shallots and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the potatoes, sweet potatoes, broth, bay leaf, garlic granules and sea salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are simmering, you can prepare your cashew cream. Simply blend the cashews with ¾ cup filtered water.
- Add in the cashew cream, corn and red wine. Stir thoroughly and simmer for about another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with cracked black pepper and scallions.